Monday, May 9, 2011

Up in the Gym Just Workin' on My Fitness

Thank you Fergie for that fine introduction! I wanted to drop by today and touch on where I am at fitness wise. There is a whole story to be told about me and fitness, which I will give a very brief version of. I was not always as fitness oriented as I am now. From middle school through high school, PE was an embarrassment. I was a chubby kid who ran 18 minute miles on a good day. In high school I joined color guard, which really is like taking up a sport, and accidentally started down a route of "surprise, I like to exercise". Then when I entered college I started exercising regularly to deal with stress. To the best of my ability I would schedule my academic classes around my gym classes. It was pretty sweet. And then, junior and senior year I discovered BodyAttack and I became a GYM RAT! I don't know what it was about this specific class, the instructors, the intense routines, but I loved it. I didn't care what I needed to do academically, that one hour class was my top priority. Oh, I have to skip dinner? Oh, I have to study for a final? Oh, I'm going to have to stay up until 6am to get all of my work done? Whatever! I'll worry about that post-BodyAttack. In fact, I was so dedicated to this class that one instructor told me I should become a certified instructor. Hard! Core! And I was totally into this idea, but I never looked into while I was there and then I moved back to California and blah de blah it never happened. I did, however, join a gym when I moved home, but by the time winter '10 I was in a rut and barely going. 
Then sometime in January I discovered Oxygen magazine and in February I bought my first one and for various reasons embarked on their plan of clean eating and strength training. And let me tell you, four months later I am HOOKED. I'm not as into strength training as I was/am BodyAttack, but I do love and appreciate where this current path is taking me. And honestly, even with only four months under my belt, I can tell I am in the best shape of my life.

At some point I will upload a calendar to give a better idea of how dedicated/into fitness I currently am. And hopefully as time goes on I will create and post videos about exercising and clean eating. Right now I am going strong because I have reunions coming up in a few weeks that I, vainly, want to look smoking hot for. But long term I think I will seriously look into 1.competing in figure competitions and 2. becoming a BodyAttack instructor. Because I do not want this to be a momentary, I was 22 and did this for a while change. I want this to be my life forever. For me, this was a lifestyle change.

No comments:

Post a Comment